In rare instances, graduate students may need to take a leave for personal and/or health reasons.
If this occurs, please contact the appropriate department graduate student services staff member for further details.
- Medical Leaves (for Employed Graduate Students)
If a leave is approved, graduate students will maintain their student status.
- Academic Leaves of Absence (LOA)
Graduate students in good academic standing may petition for a leave of absence.
- Students need to have completed at least one quarter with UC Irvine to apply.
- Academic leaves can be approved for up to one year (3 quarters).
- Petitions need to be submitted by the Friday of week 3.
- Please review all information provided on the LOA form prior to contacting your department.