Medical and Academic Leaves

In rare instances, graduate students may need to take a leave for personal and/or health reasons.

If this occurs, please contact the appropriate department graduate student services staff member for further details.

  • Medical Leaves (for Employed Graduate Students)
    If a leave is approved, graduate students will maintain their student status. 
  • Academic Leaves of Absence (LOA)
    Graduate students in good academic standing may petition for a leave of absence.
    • Students need to have completed at least one quarter with UC Irvine to apply.
    • Academic leaves can be approved for up to one year (3 quarters).
    • Petitions need to be submitted by the Friday of week 3. 
    • Please review all information provided on the LOA form prior to contacting your department.